Spring Cottage Fisheries is a stunning place to fish and the rules exist to safeguard our fish stocks and ensure that all visitors have an enjoyable time. Please read the rules carefully before you fish, as failure to observe the rules or acting in any way, which interferes with others’ enjoyment or use of the lakes, may result in the offender being immediately removed and banned from the fishery. A valid Rod License should be in your possession before starting to fish. Access to the fishery is strictly for anglers only, non-fishing guests need to be agreed in advance by the management team and also abide by the rules. These rules need to be read prior to each visit to Spring Cottage Fisheries. The rules are subject to change – so check and read through this list regularly and call us on 07377 873161 if there are any questions. It’s better to ask than risk a ban! Ignorance is not an excuse.
• All users access the site and lakes entirely at their own risk. The owner and management team will not accept responsibility for any losses, damage, injuries etc. howsoever caused that occur.
• The fishery will open at 7:30 am. Please note ALL day tickets will expire at 7.30pm or an hour before sunset (whichever is earlier). This is not a 'rods out' time, it is the time at which the peg must be cleaned and clear. The car park will be locked at 8 pm and will not open until the following morning.
• ALL NETS PROVIDED. Landing nets are issued on arrival; keepnets are available for use when pleasure fishing on our silverfish pools (Poplar Stretch and Elm). Unhooking cradle, weigh sling & landing net are provided on Oak Pool. You MUST NOT use your own nets; please do not bring them on site.
• Keepnets are available to use on Poplar Stretch and Elm for a £10 deposit which is refunded once they are returned undamaged - see general rules for full details
• Under 12's fish for free when accompanied by a paying adult (one free child per one paying adult, excludes Oak Pool).
-No bloodworm & Joker
-No plastic baits
-Fishery feed pellet only. It is available in 2, 4, 6, 8 & 11mm and costs £3 per kg or 2kg for £5 and can be purchased alongside your day ticket, any carp pellet can be used as hook bait.
• No fixed rigs or method feeders (i.e. elasticated). Method feeders must be 'inline' with no stops, they must be free running.
• Barbless hooks only. Barbed, semi-barbed and bent hooks are strictly banned.
• No surface or 'beach casting' style fishing – Zig fishing is allowed.
• No braided main lines (except on marker & spod rods).
• Please use sensible hook length materials, i.e. no spider wire - if in doubt please ask
• Bait boats & Carp Subs are banned
• Leads must easily discharge from rigs, or if a helicopter or chod style rig is used, the hooklink must easily slide off the tubing in the event of a breakage. Rigs will be subject to checks by bailiffs or the owner.
• No Leadcore or Leaders, Tubing only.
• The rod limit is a maximum of two rods per angler. All rods must be fished from the same swim.
• Fish must be weighed using a sling, zipped unhooking mat or landing net then returned to the water immediately. When returning fish you must use your landing net regardless of the distance being carried.
• All fish being photographed must be held over an unhooking mat at all times - photographs should be taken kneeling down under no circumstances should you hold fish standing up.
• Fish only from the platforms provided, please do not fish between swims.
• Rods are not to be left unattended at any time or for any reason.
• Proper fishing brollies and bivvies to be used only, please! No tents.
Oak Pool and match fishing have additional rules which can be viewed by clicking on the PDF links below:
• Anyone found killing fish and/or removing fish will be prosecuted.
• Noise should be kept to a minimum.
• Do not disturb wildlife. Please advise a member of staff as soon as possible should any wildlife become hurt or injured, hooked or entangled in your line. Likewise, your line becomes snagged on trees or bushes or on an underwater snag during your visit in order please also advise a member of staff on 07377 873161.
• We do allow anglers' dogs onto the fishery, however, they must be kept on a lead at all times, you must clean up after them and they must not be noisy or a nuisance.
• Do not light any fires and do not burn the grass when using any form of cooking equipment. The use of portable BBQ's is OK so long as there is no remaining evidence of its use afterwards and you take it home at the end of your visit.
• Alcohol is permitted but no excessive drinking, please. Safety and the enjoyment of all users and fish are of paramount importance.
• Catch reports and photographs of any notable fish caught would be appreciated.
• Pegs must be vacated when required e.g. for matches.
• Under 16’s must be accompanied by an adult.
• No Generators.
• No leftover baits to be discarded into the Lake.
• No swimming or wading.
• Please keep to your peg or the pathway to and from the car park / your vehicle. All other areas are out of bounds.
• Fish movement: No fish are to be brought onto or taken off the site. Anyone moving fish, without the owner's prior authorisation will be automatically banned for life and prosecuted as applicable.
• Fish diseases: To help mitigate the risk of spreading disease, do not bring any wet landing nets, unhooking mats, weigh slings, sacks, etc. onto the site. No exceptions! We provide all of these items.
• Litter must be removed from your swim, or anywhere near it, and taken away from the fishery, irrespective of whether it was there before you or not. Leaving any litter anywhere on the site, will result in an automatic ban.
• Site protection: Do not remove or cut any reeds, trees, bushes, plants etc. Do not stand on, climb or damage any fences. Do not climb any trees, for yours and the tree's well-being. No guns, weapons or power tools to be brought onto the site without prior permission from the management team.
• It may be necessary to temporarily close the site, or individual lakes or swims, due to flooding, algae blooms, construction work, etc. Any such closure will be notified on our website and social media at the earliest opportunity and will be of as a short a duration as practicable.
• Parking should be in the car park only unless prior agreement has been made with the management, we have a strict 5mph speed limit whilst on site.
Besides developing the fishing, we are working hard to enhance the quality and value of the site environmentally for the benefit of local flora and fauna. Please respect and enjoy it.
Photography around Spring Cottage Fisheries is a regular occurrence and any visitors must accept that photography may be used for a variety of purposes, including marketing purposes on-line.